Elder law is a relatively new area within the law that has emerged to deal with the fastest growing segment of the population – senior citizens.
With seniors more active and living longer than ever before, a more specialized area has emerged to deal with their specific needs. Elder law combines several elements of the legal profession to assist the elderly, as well as their loved ones, with many needs, including estate planning, estate taxes, advance medical directives, Medicaid and Medicare and elder rights.
Attorneys specializing in the field of elder law are often consulted on many issues that involve seniors, including:
- Housing needs;
- Estate planning;
- Estate administration;
- Abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a senior citizen;
- Paying for long-term care;
- Social security/Medicaid/Medicare benefits; and
- Retirement and/or financial planning.
Elder law is unique within the legal field, as it is more defined by the clients it serves than the areas of practice of the attorney. It is one of the few areas of law that takes a ‘holistic’ approach to a client needs.
With today’s senior citizens more active and living longer than ever, they face a new set of legal concerns and challenges that have are becoming more and more evident. An elder law attorney can assist in addressing concerns and challenges, as well as preserve the rights of the elderly.
- Famous Estates-Champ or Chump? Nelson Mandela - September 27, 2019
- Famous Estates-Champ or Chump? Jane Fonda - September 13, 2019
- Texas Trivia – Name the first of six flags to fly over Texas. - September 6, 2019