The first lightship was moored at the entrance of Galveston Bay in 1849. It was discontinued from use in 1906. In 1852, the first two lighthouses operating were: (1) Matagorda Lighthouse on Matagorda Island at Pass Cavallo; and (2) Bolivar Point Lighthouse on Bolivar Peninsula at Galveston Bay. The Bolivar Point Lighthouse discontinued service in 1933. The Matagorda Lighthouse discontinued service in 1995.
Latest posts by Stephen A. Mendel, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Famous Estates-Champ or Chump? Jane Fonda - September 13, 2019
- Texas Trivia – Name the first of six flags to fly over Texas. - September 6, 2019
- Famous Estates-Champ or Chump? Paul Walker - August 30, 2019