The Fifty Cent Act advocated by Governor O.M. Roberts was approved by the Texas Legislature July 14, 1879. It provided for selling Texas public land at fifty cents an acre, one half of the proceeds to be used for paying the public debt, and the other half to be used to establish a public school fund. The Act opened the settlement of about fifty-two West Texas counties, out of which 3,202,283 acres were sold for $1,600,645.55. The Act was repealed in January 1883.