James Buckner (Buck) Barry immigrated to Texas in 1841 and received a headright grant of 640 acres of land near Corsicana. There he did a little farming and a great deal of hunting. Barry soon joined the Texas Rangers, first as a member of an independent company at San Antonio, then as a member of Captain Thomas J. Smith’s Robertson County Rangers, and finally with John Coffee Hays’ company. Barry returned to his native North Carolina where he met and married his wife and began a family. He returned to Texas and settled on Bazette Bluff on the Trinity River. For the next ten years he was deeply involved in Indian fighting and was especially outspoken as an advocate of the removal of the Comanches and Caddos from their reservations on the upper Brazos River. In 1849 he was elected sheriff of Navarro County and moved to Corsicana.