The first lightship was moored at the entrance of Galveston Bay in 1849. It was discontinued from use in 1906. In 1852, the first two lighthouses operating were: (1) Matagorda Lighthouse on Matagorda Island at Pass Cavallo; and (2) Bolivar Point Lighthouse on Bolivar Peninsula at Galveston Bay. The Bolivar Point Lighthouse discontinued service in 1933. The Matagorda Lighthouse discontinued service in 1995.
- Thought of the Day - May 31, 2023
- Thought of the Day - May 24, 2023
- Thought of the Day - May 17, 2023