When the San Jacinto monument was being built at the site of the battlefield near Houston, a flap arose when the Daughters of the Republic of Texas learned that the names of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Governor James Allred, and Jesse Jones were to be inscribed in 1-1/4″ letters, while the names of the 1836 heroes were relegated to letters of 1/4″ on the stone. A call to arms and a few meetings of the DRT at the state capitol at Austin resulted in legislation that banned the names of any living person on state monuments. On San Jacinto Day, April 21, 1937, Jesse Jones laid the cornerstone. No names were carved into the Cordova shell stone.
Latest posts by Stephen A. Mendel, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Famous Estates-Champ or Chump? Jane Fonda - September 13, 2019
- Texas Trivia – Name the first of six flags to fly over Texas. - September 6, 2019
- Famous Estates-Champ or Chump? Paul Walker - August 30, 2019