The Galveston-Bolivar Ferry has been a part of the Texas transportation system since the 19TH century when the skiff, The Tarpon, began operating from Galveston Island. These early operations were commercial ventures and only made the trip when they had paying customers. In 1929, the first regularly scheduled ferry service between Port Bolivar and Galveston Island was established by a privately owned company. By the end of 1929 the company sold its two ferries to Galveston County. After six months Galveston County petitioned the state to operate the ferries. The first ferry operated by the State of Texas Highway Department left Port Bolivar on July 1, 1934. Initially there was a 25 cent charge to reduce traffic congestion. Since 1949 the ferry operation has been operated as a toll-free service.
Latest posts by Stephen A. Mendel, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Famous Estates-Champ or Chump? Jane Fonda - September 13, 2019
- Texas Trivia – Name the first of six flags to fly over Texas. - September 6, 2019
- Famous Estates-Champ or Chump? Paul Walker - August 30, 2019