Marshall, Texas was founded in 1841 as the seat of Harrison County. Marshall quickly became a major city in the state because of its position as a gateway to Texas on several major state coach lines and one of the first railroad lines into Texas. The county had the highest per capita farms and plantations in the south. Local citizens were opposed to the growing wealth and power of the industrial and financial capitalists and centralist tendencies of the Northeast. Consequently, the majority of Marshall’s population were fervent in their patriotism toward the Confederacy. Marshall became a major Confederate city producing gunpowder and other supplies for the Confederate Army. The city also became the capital of Missouri’s Confederate government-in-exile, earning it the nickname the City of Seven Flags – a nod to the flag of Missouri in addition to the other six Texas flags that have flown over the city.